Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Wedding Ceremony

By Rev. Michael Toombs


This wedding ceremonies has some original parts and some traditionally-worded parts. Enjoy.


OPENING STATEMENT
Dearly Beloved: We are gathered here together, in the presence of God and of this company, so that (Groom) and (Bride) may be united in holy matrimony. We are here to celebrate and share in the glorious act by which their love for one another is converted into the holy and sacred bonds of marriage.


DECLARATION OF INTENTION
In First Corinthians, chapter 13, verses 4-8 the Bible describes love stating that ?Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres. Love never fails....?
This kind of love enriches each part of life, and marriage enriches love. Two lives, shared with this kind of love, can hold more fulfillment and happiness than either life alone.


MARRIAGE VOWS
Face each other and hold hands.


(Groom), do you take (Bride) to be your lawfully wedded wife, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love, honor and cherish her, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, to be faithful only to her as long as you both shall live?


(Groom)
I do.


(Bride), do you take (Groom) to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love, honor and cherish him, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, to be faithful only to him as long as you both shall live?


(Bride)
I do.


(Groom), please repeat after me:


I, (Groom), take thee, (Bride),
to be my wife and my one true love
I will cherish our friendship
and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.
I will trust you and honor you
I will laugh with you and cry with you.
I will love you faithfully.
What may come, I will always be there.
As I have given you my hand to hold
So I give you my life to keep.
I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life.


(Bride), please repeat after me:


I, (Bride), take thee, (Groom),
to be my husband and my one true love
I will cherish our friendship
and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.
I will trust you and honor you
I will laugh with you and cry with you.
I will love you faithfully.
What may come, I will always be there.
As I have given you my hand to hold
So I give you my life to keep.
I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life.




PRAYER & BLESSING
Let us pray:


Dear Heavenly Father, we present to You (Groom) and (Bride), who come this day to be married. May the promise of love they make be blessed with true love, devotion and commitment. When selfishness shows itself, grant generosity; when mistrust is a temptation, give them strength; when there is misunderstanding, give patience and gentleness; if suffering becomes a part of their lives, give them a strong faith and an abiding love. Give them Your grace and guidance that they may loyally fulfill the vows they have taken. May Your joy abide with them always, that they may be a blessing to each other, and to those around them. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.


I would now like to read an Apache blessing for this marriage:


Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years. May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth.


EXCHANGE OF RINGS
May I have the Rings?


It is customary to exchange rings as a symbol of love. The wedding ring is the outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual bond which unites two loyal hearts in endless love. It is a seal of the vows these two have made to one another. As the rings have no end so your love should have no end. As the rings are made of gold symbolizing purity, so should your marriage have purity. As often as either of you see them, you will be reminded of this moment and the endless love you promised.


(Groom), please place the ring on (Bride)?s hand and repeat after me.


I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows,
with all that I am
and all that I have,
I honor you.
With this ring I thee wed.


(Bride), please place the ring on (Groom)?s hand and repeat after me.


I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows,
with all that I am
and all that I have,
I honor you.
With this ring I thee wed.


DECLARATION OF THE MARRIAGE
As you have now both pledged to the other your lifelong commitment, love and devotion, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Those whom God has joined together, let no one put asunder.


(Groom), you may now kiss your bride.


PRESENTATION
I now present to you (Groom) and (Bride) (Last Name).

 ******************** 
 
The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.   As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary. Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment